2008/03/01

my fifth post on this novel!!

=What is the mood of this novel? Do you find this novel saddens you in any way? Why?

The mood of this novel, "Animal Farm" written by George Orwell, changed as the story went on. In the beginning, the mood was very light and joyful, full of hope of making an utopia for the animals without a govern from human. Right after Major's speech about men being evil and unfair, "there was a tremendous roar," (pg 6) showing that the animals were anxious to kick their owner, Mr and Mrs Jones out and rule the farm by themselves. Only reading Major's speech made me also feel proud of myself, hopeful and brave - as if I, too, was an animal from this farm.
As the story went on and on, the mood started to become heavier, more serious and menacing. The quote "All that year the animals worked like slaves" (pg 40) explains everything. I really feel sorry for the animals. I guess when someone or something gets in charge of some kind of a society, they want the complete control over other guys.

5 comments:

DK Dong Keun Hong said...

Hey ~ Jun I didn’t know you were reading Animal Farm. However I partially agree with your mood post. I also think that the mood of the story goes heavier and much more serious as the story flows, but I don’t really think that there is a mood of joy and hope in the first part of the Animal Farm. I think the mood of the first chapter is very vengeful and full of anger, because the owner of the farm mistreated the animals.

David Lee Dong Hun said...

I kind of disagree with your words saying that 'mood is joyful at the beginning of the novel and becomes harsher as it goes on.' At the beginning of this story, these animals were in despair under Mr. Jones' control. Then the mood goes with joy. The joyous living doesn't last long, and Mr. Jones and his men attack the farm. Animals in the farm fall into despair again. Eventually the animals win, and blissful living is offered to them. From then, the mood goes harsher.

SATISFACTION said...

In the begining weren't the animals trying to get rebellion, so isn't the mood kind of heavy in the begining too?

Yuri said...

haha. u were reading Anmal farm...
Well... I read ir few yrs ago and I dont realy remember the story very well;) Anyway, I also agree with them.. I don't think the first part was joyful.. maybe it was more serious.. how they are trying to get freedom from humans..
well.. I really want to read thsi story again anyway..
good job:)

Stephen Eun said...

Yes, I agree with you too. I think because the animals were glad to have a vision of happiness and freedom at the start of the book, due to old major, helped the mood of the story stay happy at the start. Also, the point how you say the mood changed, I agree with that point too. Good job!